Samstag, 5. Juni 2021

Arrival in Africa

Here it comes the new chapter...


I arrived in Uganda at the 20.04.21 and what to say ...it’s a very funny very nice very very enriching very different country :)


The country where the first person I met told me how women have to dress to not attract men because god made women the way men can not resist, the country where many religions live together In peace, the country where the public holidays have not just Christian celebration days but also all others, where Christians have many wife’s and even secret women next to their marriages, the country where girls weather they are married and/or have children sleep with other men and if you ask them why they cheat, they would say, „it was not my fault it was my boyfriend’s/husband’s fault, he didn’t gave me time and no sex“, the country where many persons don’t believe in love, the country where love is just a business, the country where people think white persons are pure and have infinitively money, the country where you just don’t know what the hell it means if someone says „I love you“ to you after experience all that weird ideas of (not) love, the country where you collect your rubbish and burn it only once per week because „burning rubbish is bad“, or the country where you don’t pay the rubbish collecter because they don’t take your rubbish ...as result they don’t take your rubbish, the country where as a white person children either scream and run away or they scream  and come too you pointing with the finger on you calling you „musungu“ which is like „European“. 


On the street, Some bag you for money, some others are very persistent to sell you something and you are always looking not to get things stolen 😅 but that is nothing new for those who traveled to Africa or some Asian countries already.

Of course every travel experience-like the experience I made- is very selective and will not stand for every person in Uganda just soo you know 😂



I arrived in Entebbe at the airport and asked for a taxi to town. The lady showed me the terminal and she put in the name of the street (yes they don’t have house number and 90% of the streets don’t have names) and the computer said it will cost between 75 000 and 87 000 ugx (roughly 20€) for a 40 minutes drive. Quite expensive as I figured out later. 

Well I said I only have 60 000 ugx. The lady said ok.


I stayed in Kampala the capital for almost a week at my friend couchsurfing place. Hanifa gave me the best warm welcome Someone can imagine 😊 thank you for having me and the wonderful introduction into a new culture.










The place had one small room as sleeping room with a big bed, and a bunk bed. Behind the bedroom there was a small place to wash... like the bottom part of a shower without running water. Soo showering and brushing teeth with water from a bucket.

The kitchen was like a place where we just would store food 1x1 meter and a separate room outside.

The toilet yea... basically a 5 to 15 cm hole in the ground... you better have a good aim 😂



The (not)public rubbish place


One persons backyard



Next to the house



The little toilet cells and the steam pipe 🥴


Washing line and little store. Just outside the house.



To our right in the distance the police is camping there with their wife’s under plastic foil 



The little kitchen 



The living room



The bath room


In Kampala I mainly enjoyed being with the local people and didn’t do sightseeing. As my main intention to travel to a country is to really meet the people, see what they believe in and live with them, those are my priorities and that’s what I did. Soo I went with Hanifa on different walks through the city



An ordinary intersection 



Some people’s backyard 



Kind of a main road to connect two paved roads



Small banana plantation 



Banana, mango, jackfruit trees



Another relatively good road



This road is freshly prepared to be posted soon



Here as well fresh road



And kind of the only paved road through the capital city


We went with friends to the next mall just down the road... for a swim and sauna 😂 -yes in Africa they have also sauna.


I also met another friend for which everything is a business 😅  maybe she even comes to study business in Germany 



Someone really enjoyed selfies there


😎


and went to cinema later...




Time passes quickly and I even came back to Kampala after my stay in Entebbe (my first Workaway here in Uganda). 


Let me tell you my first Workaway (volunteering) experience shortly 😊

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen